1. The Wasteland by T.S. Eliot
2. Discipline by Herbert Spencer
3. Alabaster by Sarojini Naidu
4. The Murderer's Wine or Le Vin de L'assassin by Charles Baudelaire
5. Echo by Christina Rosetti (I'd prefer Goblin Market but is that too controversial?)
Come to me in the silence of the night;
Come in the speaking silence of a dream;
Come with soft rounded cheeks and eyes as bright
As sunlight on a stream;
Come back in tears,
O memory, hope and love of finished years.
O dream how sweet, too sweet, too bitter-sweet,
Whose wakening should have been in Paradise,
Where souls brim-full of love abide and meet;
Where thirsting longing eyes
Watch the slow door
That opening, letting in, lets out no more.
Yet come to me in dreams, that I may live
My very life again though cold in death;
Come back to me in dreams, that I may give
Pulse for pulse, breath for breath:
Speak low, lean low,
As long ago, my love, how long ago.